Saturday, May 11, 2013

Missing Canada?

Well I've been in Florida for two months now, it's hard to believe!

As time wears on, I find myself missing or craving certain things that you can't get here in the sates.
Although America and Canada are quite similar, there are some small detail that are different and can create a bit of a culture shock because you don't really expect it to be different (if that makes any sense at all).

For starters, when you go into Walmart, you walk in and don't know where to start!  The Walmart's down here are ginormous and super confusing!  They don't have roll back so you really have to really look at prices.  Also the customers aren't the same, in Canada everyone usually looks were they are going and is very courteous, in America...not so much.  I'm not saying it to be bias or trying to offend anyone, but it is true and slightly stero-typical...Canadians say sorry way too much (at least it seems to be that way with me....).

Some things I miss that they don't have in Canada:
-Tim Hortons (Seriously dying, I miss getting Timmies coffee and bagels and doughnuts!)
-Smarties
-Ketchup Chips
-Poutine (Never really craved it till I came here...now I want it all the time because I can't have it!)
-Kraft Dinner (They have Kraft Macaroni and Cheese, but it's weird not seeing KD)
-Kinder Surprise (I don't really miss it...but was surprised they don't have them)
-Plum Sauce (I go to McDonalds and ask for plum sauce for the chicken nuggets and they look at me like I have 5 eyes and ask what plum sauce is..)

Another thing is that the customer service is horrible.  It's a lot more difficult to get things done quickly when you need customer service.  Although I do have to say that even though working for Disney might sound intimidating to do, since they are very strict about having good show and looking/acting our best in front of guests at all times, I completely understand why.  Disney is probably one of the best places to go for great customer service, there is nothing they wont try to do (within limitation of course) to make sure you have an enjoyable time.  It's not always easy or possible to accommodate every guests need or solve every complaint, but Disney really does put in a lot of effort to make sure that everyone has a magical experience.  After certain experiences I have had with customer service from stores or banks while down here, I have found a lot of respect to why disney is so strict with how cast members act and I find myself trying to do my best to make sure that a guest doesn't have to deal with the stress or frustration I have had to deal with.

Sorry if this isn't a super positive post, I guess I'm just missing Canada a bit and wanted to educate you on somethings I've found out while down here.

On a more positive note, I've got 4 days off and today I am going to Animal Kingdom with my friend Sam!  Maybe one blog post will be strictly pictures of my adventure in Florida thus far!

-Janice


"You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world.  But it takes people to make the dream a reality."
-Walt Disney

No comments:

Post a Comment